The future is now. And the future, apparently, is TikTok. This year, the app became more popular than Facebook and YouTube among 12- to 24-year olds in the US. But if you’re still skeptical about this 600 million strong social platform (including Canadians), here are 29 stats to help give some context on TikTok’s place in our culture now, and what it might be like as it continues to grow.
TikTok Stats Need to know if you are looking opportunity.
- 100+ Billion music videos are created every month on TikTok. That’s almost 9 videos for every person on earth!
- 300 Million people use TikTok each day. That’s 7 times Canada’s population. Based on these numbers, you’d have a 1 in 4.4 chance of being closer to another TikToker than a Canadian right now.
- 3 Million+ people follow Selena Gomez on TikTok. And she speaks fluent Mandarin – who knew?!
- 60% of TikTok’s global community is female. In Canada specifically, women account for nearly half (47%) of users under 25 years old. That number jumps up to 61% for those from the ages of 25-34*.
- 8 Seconds is the average length of a TikTok video. That’s about how long it takes to drink one Diet Coke!
- 300+ celebrities regularly use TikTok. That includes K-Pop sensations EXO who recently became the first Korean act to crack 500M YouTube views, award-winning director Jose Padilha (Narcos), and comedian Kevin Hart.
- 1/3 of Europeans between 12-34 years old regularly consume social media content from influencers like PewDiePie or DanTDM. Canadians aren’t far behind with 1/5 doing the same.
- 40% of US internet users agree that they are more likely to buy a product or service from an influencer they follow on social media.
- 20+ celebrities have partnered with TikTok, including Dwayne Johnson and Team USA Basketball 🇺🇸. They’re even using their massive international reach to share World Cup action…and celebrate golden moments!
- 71% of global consumers would recommend a brand endorsed by a favorite celebrity – and they’d do it twice as often as they would for an ad alone. Celebrities also drive more than three times the conversion rates than brands do when they advertise together. And we’ll just leave these stats right here: Selena Gomez makes $550,000 per sponsored post on Instagram, while Shawn Mendes makes $300,000 per TikTok post.
- Since its founding in 2017, TikTok has helped launch the careers of several celebrities, including 14-year old Texas native Baby Ariel who is now more popular on TikTok than any other social platform. With over 15 million fans between Facebook and YouTube combined, she’s also one of Time Magazine’s 25 Most Influential Teens of 2018!
- To become a global sensation like Baby Ariel, you’ll need about 150k followers which will put you on track to reach 1M after 5 months. After that, it’s all up to your creativity and willingness to engage with your fans.
- 32% of internet users from Canada say they look at social media influencers’ accounts every day. In fact, Canadians are the third most likely to do this worldwide after Russia and Poland.
- 40% of 18-24-year-olds in the US believe they have a personal relationship with an influencer.
- 1/3 of Canadians wish there were more ads on TikTok! But if you don’t want to see any ads, you can always start your own channel and become an organic brand influencer.
- 10 Million+ people use TikTok’s camera effects every day. That’s like half the population of Canada…in one app!
- 22% of US social media users say they spend more time on TikTok than any other app.
- 30 Million+ people use TikTok every day to express themselves and connect with others, which is more than double the population of Canada!
TikTok is pretty big, right? In Canada alone, you’d be outnumbered by TikTok users almost 9 to 1. And globally, the app has more active daily users than any other social platform.