Meta tags are one of the most basic elements of SEO, and also the part which you should never overlook. And the most basic and the simplest tool to help you out with meta tags is the Meta Tag Generator.
What is Meta Tag?
Meta Tags are nothing but mere pieces of text that describe a page and/or its content. They don’t necessarily appear on the page, just in the page’s source code.
Meta, here stands for metadata, which in turn is the type of data these tags provide – data/information about your web page. Meta tags are part of the HTML tags that describe your page content to search engines and website visitors. The Meta tags appear only in the page’s code and anyone can check them via source code (Ctrl+U).
What does Meta Tag do?
Even though meta tags are not visible to the onlooker or the person visiting your site, they play an important role. Meta tags are key things for all search engines that appear in the HTML code of a website page. It tells the search engine what the page is all about.
This means that they are the first impression and point of contact for all search engines. Each of these tags provides an important piece of information about how web crawlers should parse the metadata on your website.
How many types of Meta Tags are there?
There are numerous varieties of meta tags that can be used all. They range from tags describing the title to tags whose work is to solely attract more crawlers. But for the sake of simplicity, the important tags alone shall be discussed. (Please note that here importance is in reference to Search Engine Optimization.)
The important tags are:-
- Title tag – The Title tag is the very first HTML element that specifies your web page for search engines and to visitors.
- Meta description – A Meta Description is an HTML element that summarizes your web page.
- Canonical Tag –The Canonical tag is an HTML link tag with “rel=canonical” attribute. This is used if you have a single page URL that has the same content with other multiple page URLs.
- Alternative text (Alt) Tag –The Alt tag is important for any images, as search engines cannot read them. So you need to add proper Alt text to the images so the search engine can consider them.
- Robots meta tag –The Robots Meta tag is an HTML tag that provides instructions to web crawlers. And on the basis of this, they decide on whether to index or not index a web page.
- Social Media Meta Tags (Open Graph and Twitter Cards) –Open Graph Meta tags are designed to promote integration between Social Media platforms. This includes Facebook, LinkedIn, Google and the website URLs that you shared on these platforms. The Twitter cards work in the same way too, except for the fact that you add them only on Twitter.
- Responsive Design Meta Tag – By using the Responsive Design meta tag we can control layout for web pages on mobile browsers
What is a Meta Tag Generator?
Meta Tag generators are software/tools which help you in generating meta tags. There is a wide variety of them available on the internet. “But which one to choose?” might be the question in your head.
Well, the best of the lot is the Free Meta Tag Generator by Free SEO Tools Portal. The reason that this is the best of the lot is because not only it is accurate. And the fact that it generates Meta Tags in a matter of seconds. But also this is absolutely free. You do not have to sign-up anywhere or enter your credit card details like some sketchy sites.
All you have to do is to enter the required data in the right field and voilà! You are presented with what you came for.